Completion Year: 2001
Program: Office Building, Adaptive Reuse
Beinfield Project Team: Bruce Beinfield FAIA, Edward Clemente
Landscape Architect: Wesley Stout Associates
Structural Engineer: DeStefano Associates
Awards & Honors:
2002 Norwalk Chamber of Commerce
Pride in Norwalk Award
The Norwalk Lock Company constructed their South Norwalk factory in 1856, and built 14 subsequent additions through 1941. This has left a wonderful architectural history of heavy timber mill construction, demonstrating the evolution of that building type through the nineteenth and twentieth century.
The building’s history mirrors that of this city, and many industrial based cities throughout the country. Flourishing through the first half of the century, abandoned in the sixties, and reinvented at the turn of the new century.
In 1999 the building was dilapidated and scheduled for demolition, as part of a city plan to build a parking structure for the Maritime Aquarium. A grass roots effort was mounted to save the building. The success of that campaign allowed the building to be rehabilitated, creating 100,000 square feet of studio, gallery, office, retail, and restaurant uses.