Affectionately known locally as the Pacific Plumbing Building, the four-story brick and timber-framed structure on the corner of Pacific and Dock Street in Stamford has had many lives. Originally built in 1892 by the Schleigher Piano Company, 484 Pacific has been occupied by businesses ranging from piano manufacturing to plumbing supply warehouse to reclaimed building products showroom and has been spared significant renovations through its evolution. It's new owner's, enamored with the buildings nineteenth century industrial charm of brick and timber, purchased the property with plans to transform the structure into a fresh muti-tenant office environment to attract young and energetic companies being drawn to Stamford from New York City. The Pacific Street corridor and neighborhood continues to develop and reinvent itself with new structures nestling in among re-purposed industrial buildings preserved from some of the sites former uses.
The 484 Pacific building was sorely out of date and lacking any modern amenities, in need of updated utility systems and ever-critical life-safety requirements. With the intention of preserving the building's industrial charm, we created a new, twenty-first century industrial tower addition housing an elevator, egress stairs, bathrooms on each floor and mechanical equipment spaces while preserving the original building's brick and timber open plan spaces. The building's signature fading painted signage echoing the former uses of the site are being maintained and preserved.
Tenant renovations for Rhone Apparel and Young Life Youth Organization are already complete for the two lower levels of the 20,000 sf office building. Upper floor tenant renovations are under way and the new tower is scheduled to be complete in the coming months.